By John Bodel,Saul M. Olyan
- Advances our knowing of loved ones and familial faith, instead of state-sponsored or civic temple cults
- Reconstructs household and relatives non secular practices in Egypt, Greece, Rome, Israel, Mesopotamia, Ugarit, Emar, and Philistia
- Explores many family rituals, resembling delivering for ancestral spirits, and petitioning of a household's buyer deities or of spirits linked to the home itself
- Examines lifecycle rituals – from being pregnant and delivery to adulthood, previous age, demise, and beyond
- Looks at spiritual practices with regards to the family either in the domestic itself and different areas, corresponding to at extramural tombs and native sanctuaries
Read Online or Download Household and Family Religion in Antiquity (Ancient World: Comparative Histories) PDF
Similar ancient history books
The Neanderthal is likely one of the such a lot mysterious relations of Homo sapiens: used to be he a lifeless, club-swinging muscleman, or a being with built social behaviour and the power to talk, to plot accurately, or even to boost perspectives at the afterlife? for lots of, the Neanderthals are an instance of primitive people, yet new discoveries recommend that this snapshot should be revised.
Whereas Holladay has written greatly and helpfully on different issues, his in depth paintings at the prophet Jeremiah is still the most very important contributions to the examine of that booklet, and particularly to our realizing of the prophet Jeremiah with regards to the booklet ascribed to him. In Jeremiah: interpreting the Prophet in His Time - and Ours, Holladay seeks to attach the message of the booklet of Jeremiah 'to the lifestyles and stories of the prophet and his instances.
Magisterarbeit aus dem Jahr 2006 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Weltgeschichte - Frühgeschichte, Antike, word: 1,15, Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf (Historisches Institut - Alte Geschichte), forty-one Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Es gibt sicher keine antike Persönlichkeit die mehr polarisierte, als Alkibiades.
Donning the Cloak comprises 9 stimulating chapters on Roman army textiles and gear that take cloth examine to a brand new point. listen the sounds of the Roman infantrymen' clacking belts and get a view on their buy orders with Egyptian weavers. may perhaps armour be outfitted of linen? Who had entry to what varieties of prestigious gear?
- Traité des instruments de martyre et des divers modes de supplice employés par les païens contre les chrétiens (French Edition)
- Antiochus the Great
- Deconstructing Prehumanity: An Enquiry into the Archaeological Creation of a Black Past
- Tore zur Welt: Häfen in der Antike (German Edition)
Extra info for Household and Family Religion in Antiquity (Ancient World: Comparative Histories)
Household and Family Religion in Antiquity (Ancient World: Comparative Histories) by John Bodel,Saul M. Olyan