By Douglas E. Cowan,David G. Bromley
- A stimulating, course-friendly evaluation of the heritage and improvement of recent non secular activities (NRMs) within the overdue 20th century
- Explores 8 cults and NRMs, together with the Church of Scientology, Transcendental Meditation, Unificationism, The family members overseas, the Ramtha university of Enlightenment, the department Davidians, Heaven’s Gate, and Wicca
- Each bankruptcy experiences the origins, leaders, ideals, rituals and practices of a NRM, highlighting the explicit controversies surrounding this group
- Covers debates together with what constitutes an actual faith, the validity of claims of brainwashing options, the results of experimentation with unconventional sexual practices, and the deeply rooted cultural fears that cults engender.
Read or Download Cults and New Religions: A Brief History (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion) PDF
Similar religious studies books
Download PDF by Marco Ventura: From Your Gods to Our Gods: A History of Religion in Indian,
The worldwide global debates secularism, freedom of trust, faith-based norms, the state's arbitration of spiritual conflicts, and where of the sacred within the public sphere. In dealing with those matters, Britain, India, and South Africa stand out as precise laboratories. they've got tremendously inspired the remainder of the realm.
Get Ethics and Spirituality: Readings in Moral Theology No. 17 PDF
This quantity compiles writings by means of prime ethical theologians and ethicists on a big rising subject within the box of ethics. As spirituality asserts its vast humanistic interdisciplinarity, and ethical theology emerges from its fixation on sin to deal with broader questions of human formation and Christian discipleship, the necessity for the 2 disciplines to be in discussion is apparent.
Download e-book for iPad: Religious Conversion: History, Experience and Meaning by Ira Katznelson,Miri Rubin
Spiritual conversion - a shift in club from one neighborhood of religion to a different - can take diversified types in greatly diversified situations. because the essays during this quantity display, conversion will be protracted or surprising, voluntary or coerced, small-scale or huge. it can be the results of energetic missionary efforts, instrumental judgements, or highbrow or non secular allure to another doctrine and practices.
Lethal Politics: Soviet Genocide and Mass Murder Since 1917 by R. J. Rummel PDF
Whereas there are estimates of the variety of humans killed via Soviet experts in the course of specific episodes or campaigns, previously, nobody has attempted to calculate the whole human toll of Soviet genocides and mass murders because the revolution of 1917. the following, R. J. Rummel lists and analyzes 1000's of released estimates, proposing them within the old context within which they happened.
- Fundamentalism: Perspectives on a Contested History (Studies in Comparative Religion)
- Beyond Paradise: Technology and the Kingdom of God
- The Seal : A Priest's Story
- Religion and Its Monsters
- A Revolutionary Conscience: Theodore Parker and Antebellum America
- A Fool's Guide to Wisdom
Extra resources for Cults and New Religions: A Brief History (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion)
Cults and New Religions: A Brief History (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion) by Douglas E. Cowan,David G. Bromley