By Arthur Holder
Christian Spirituality: The Classics is a special and entire advisor to thirty key Christian spirituality texts. starting from Origen and Augustine to Jonathan Edwards, Thérèse of Lisieux and Thomas Merton, it bargains a view of the texts that is based in scholarship, yet which additionally offers them as dwelling records that invite- even compel -contemplative mirrored image and existential response.
Each bankruptcy in brief describes the vintage text’s writer and viewers, offers a synopsis of its contents, indicates a few of its impact in historical past, after which explores elements of the text’s that means for readers this day. Key topics contain:
- What is the which means of existence?
- How can humans locate fact?
- How can they observe who they are surely?
- How can they stay jointly in peace?
- How can they stay extra absolutely in God’s presence during this global and be united with God on this planet to come?
The students who've written those chapters are all specialists on their respective issues, yet they put on their studying frivolously. a person wishing to find the riches of Christian spirituality will locate this the right creation and may manage to development to a deeper figuring out of the texts themselves.
Read Online or Download Christian Spirituality: The Classics PDF
Similar christian theology books
With a Postcript coauthored by way of Michael W. GoheenIn print for 2 a long time and translated into 8 languages, Albert Wolters's vintage formula of an built-in Christian worldview has been revised and elevated to arrive new readers past the new release that has already benefited from this transparent, concise inspiration for transcending the fake dichotomy among sacred and secular.
Not like a few of the different letters of the Pauline corpus, there was no major call for for an in depth, Messianic exam of the Pastoral Epistles of 1&2 Timothy and Titus. lots of brand new Messianic lecturers and leaders imagine that they already understand what those letters suggest, and so placing out the trouble of examining them past a cursory interpreting or survey is believed to not really be wanted.
Bodies Are Selves is a glance at what it ability to be human in a global the place clinical know-how and rising moral perception strength us to reconsider the limits of humanity/spirit and man/machine. This e-book supplies us a clean examine how our increasing organic perspectives of ourselves and our shared evolutionary background indicates us an image that will not consistently illumine who and the place we're as Christians.
Karl Barth's recognized account of the doctrine of election in his significant Church Dogmatics has been defined because the center of his theology--a nice hymn to the grace of God in Christ. He maintained that "we needs to glance clear of all others, and except all aspect glances or secondary recommendations, we needs to glance in basic terms upon the identify of Jesus Christ.
- Dust that Breathes: Christian Faith and the New Humanisms (Challenges in Contemporary Theology)
- Martin Luther and the Seven Sacraments: A Contemporary Protestant Reappraisal
- Critical Theology against US Militarism in Asia: Decolonization and Deimperialization (New Approaches to Religion and Power)
- Public Faith in Action: How to Think Carefully, Engage Wisely, and Vote with Integrity
- Angels Among Us: Extraordinary Encounters with Heavenly Beings
Additional info for Christian Spirituality: The Classics
Christian Spirituality: The Classics by Arthur Holder