By John R. Hall,Philip D. Schuyler,Sylvaine Trinh
* the apocalypse at Jonestown
* the department Davidians at Waco
* the violent course of Aum Shinrikyo
* the paranormal apocalypse of the sun Temple
* the mass suicide of Heaven's Gate.
Through comparative case experiences and in-depth research, the authors exhibit how non secular violence can erupt no longer easily from the ideals of the cult fans or the personalities in their leaders, but additionally from the best way society responds to the cults in its midst.
Read Online or Download Apocalypse Observed: Religious Movements and Violence in North America, Europe and Japan PDF
Best religious studies books
The worldwide global debates secularism, freedom of trust, faith-based norms, the state's arbitration of spiritual conflicts, and where of the sacred within the public sphere. In dealing with those concerns, Britain, India, and South Africa stand out as precise laboratories. they've got drastically prompted the remainder of the area.
This quantity compiles writings by means of major ethical theologians and ethicists on an immense rising subject within the box of ethics. As spirituality asserts its extensive humanistic interdisciplinarity, and ethical theology emerges from its fixation on sin to handle broader questions of human formation and Christian discipleship, the necessity for the 2 disciplines to be in discussion is apparent.
Non secular conversion - a shift in club from one neighborhood of religion to a different - can take assorted types in noticeably varied situations. because the essays during this quantity reveal, conversion could be protracted or unexpected, voluntary or coerced, small-scale or huge. it can be the results of lively missionary efforts, instrumental judgements, or highbrow or religious charm to another doctrine and practices.
Whereas there are estimates of the variety of humans killed by means of Soviet experts in the course of specific episodes or campaigns, in the past, not anyone has attempted to calculate the total human toll of Soviet genocides and mass murders because the revolution of 1917. the following, R. J. Rummel lists and analyzes countless numbers of released estimates, proposing them within the historic context within which they happened.
- Auf der Suche nach dem katholischen Arbeitermädchen vom Lande: Religion und Bildungserfolg im regionalen, historischen und internationalen Vergleich (German Edition)
- The Social Significance of Religion in the Enlarged Europe: Secularization, Individualization and Pluralization
- President Yeshua
- THE DISASTER OF THE ABSENCE OF MORAL AND RELIGIOUS EDUCATION IN THE AMERICAN PUBLIC SCHOOLS: Controversies and Possible Solutions
- Black Pilgrimage to Islam
- C.G. Jung and Nikolai Berdyaev: Individuation and the Person: A Critical Comparison
Extra resources for Apocalypse Observed: Religious Movements and Violence in North America, Europe and Japan
Apocalypse Observed: Religious Movements and Violence in North America, Europe and Japan by John R. Hall,Philip D. Schuyler,Sylvaine Trinh